Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Gift for Jesus on His Birthday

I have no gift to bring… that’s fit to give our King.

Sound familiar? The Little Drummer Boy is one of my favorite Christmas Carols. I can relate to his lowly estate! What could I possibly offer Jesus for His birthday this Christmas season? How about gold, silver, frankincense, or myrrh? He’s got that already!

I am thinking I would like to give Him something unique this year; something creative, but costly. How about my exercise? It’s very common for us to give up or take a vacation from our exercise commitment during the holidays. This Christmas season why not give to Him as a gift offering an extra measure of my physical exercise commitments to go the extra mile and press a little harder. Rather than complain about the soreness, inconvenience or outside weather temperature, I am going to present my body to Him as a living sacrifice and focus on giving back to Him the strength in my body that He has given me. Is that some sort of spiritual re-gifting? Maybe so!

I am a great fan of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes organization (FCA) and I am personally going to adopt the Fellowship of Christian Athletes Creed, specifically the part that says:

My body is the temple of Jesus Christ.
I protect it from within and without.
Nothing enters my body that
does not honor the Living God.
My sweat is an offering to my Master.
My soreness is a sacrifice to my Savior.


As I exercise this December, I am going the extra mile and have it to cost me something. I love the Old Testament story of King David when he went to Araunah the Jebusite to purchase from him his threshing floor to build an altar to the Lord. In 2 Samuel 24:18-24 Araunah said to David, “Let my lord the king take whatever pleases him and offer it up. Here are oxen for the burnt offering, and here are the threshing sledges and ox yokes for the wood. … But the king replied to Araunah, ‘No, I insist on paying you for it. I will not sacrifice to the Lord that which cost me nothing’” (Emphasis added). Put your shoes on, zip up those jackets, hats on and let’s go sacrifice. Let every step I take in my exercise commitment be an offering that is pleasing and acceptable to our Lord! Happy Birthday King Jesus.

Vicki Heath

~ Holiday Exercise Tips ~
Plan holiday activities around things other than food:

* Go on an ice-skating party followed by hot spiced apple cider.
* Bundle up and go on a walking sightseeing trip to view the colorful decorations and lights in your neighborhood
* Go on a walking window-shopping expedition at your favorite mall.
* Take a trip to the woods to chop down your own tree.
* Have a tree-trimming party where everyone brings their favorite low-cal treat.
* Have a caroling party and go from house to house (or floor to floor) and sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!