Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Making Your Battle Plans


I have been through 18 years of schooling, obtaining various degrees and professional titles. I can tell you that I didn't obtain these degrees by just intending to show up. I didn't get where I am by just thinking about going or saying, “I meant to go. I will get back on it next week.” I had to make it a point to be faithful and attend to reach my degree or title. It is the very same way with health and fitness. You've got to be there faithfully. It’s not just what you do today; it’s what you do every day that gets you to where you are going. You must attend if you are serious about obtaining a new level of health and fitness. You must have a good battle plan.

Before setting out to conquer Jericho, Joshua was given a visible sign from the Lord that he needed to depend more on the Lord’s force and power than on his own military skills. (Joshua 5:13-15) Those of us who are skilled dieters and have knowledge of physical workout and exercise must come to realize this battle belongs to the Lord. God has a different battle strategy in mind this time. The first battle will begin in our mind. Are you willing to take your marching orders from the Lord even if they are contrary to all of your diet books and workout DVD’s? It’s time to set up your own personal battle plan.

You have to come to the point that you understand your physical workout is not only to lose weight, but to become healthy. If you look at your workout as only a way to lose weight, once you get to goal weight you are more likely to quit.

Your workout and exercise time should be a holy time on holy ground with you and the Lord. Exodus 15:13 (KJV) says, “…Thou hast guided them in thy strength unto a holy habitation.” The word “holy” means sanctified or set aside. Your workout time should be a time you set aside with purpose.

Before you begin each workout, your first battle plan should be to say a blessing over your workout. You pray over your food; why not pray over your workout? The blessing in Deuteronomy 28:3-6 says “…You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out.” Blessed when you start your workout and blessed when you finish.

My workout prayer: Father, I give my workout to you. Guide me. Help me to use wisdom in my workout. Protect my body from injury. Help every move I make to be an offering up to you. I thank you Father that I can move.

Spiritual Tip:  Your workout place is holy ground. Take it serious! Do it with purpose! It is the time and the place you are getting into condition for the Kingdom of God!

Physical Tip: Establish a Workout Schedule. Turn mere behavior into a good habit. Motivate yourself to stick to your program by getting a large glass jar. Place the jar in a place of prominence in your home. Every day after you come in from your workout, put a dollar in the jar. If you don’t stick to your schedule you made for yourself, take a dollar out. When your jar is full, go out and buy yourself something special.

"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.” II Peter 1:5-8 (NIV)

Do you have a battle plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!