Monday, June 29, 2015

For His Glory


Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.  Colossians 3:23

All of us have things to do that we don’t want to do. When my husband, Bob, was younger, his job every night after dinner was to wash the dishes. He is very quick to admit that he didn’t like doing dishes. In fact, he hated washing the dishes. When we were first married, he told me he would help me do anything in the house except wash dishes. I soon learned that he wasn’t kidding.

One Wednesday evening after fellowship dinner at church, I was talking with some friends when someone came over to me and said, “Bob is having too much fun in the kitchen; I didn’t know you could laugh that much washing dishes.” This I had to see for myself. I stood in the doorway in utter amazement. There was Bob in a plastic apron, scouring a giant cooking pot and laughing. He lovingly looked at me and said, “I’m doing this for the Lord and for His glory,” and then he squirted someone with the sprayer as he walked by. Bob continued to wash dishes for the Lord every other Wednesday for two years.

At home, Bob’s formal dishware of preference remains styrofoam or plastic. But I can’t deny that he had an amazing attitude when He was working for the Lord. I can only imagine how much fun we could have if we did everything for the Lord and His glory instead of complaining about the task at hand.

PRAYER

Father God, I know there are tasks ahead of me today that I am reluctant to do. But if my performance is pleasing and acceptable to You, nothing else really matters.

Journal: What have you been putting off doing? Do one task today that you have dreaded, and do it for the Lord and His glory.

—Betty Lacy

This devotional taken from Living Well devotional, available in the FP4H online store here just $5 through June 30th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!