Friday, September 18, 2015

Modeling a Quiet Time and My Favorite Devo by Carole Lewis


Last night I modeled a quiet time for our Thursday night class and said that my favorite devotional book of all time is My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers.  This morning when I was reading my devotional for today, it was talking about Jesus’ temptation in the wilderness, the subject of day 3 in week 5 of the new FP4H Bible study, Healthy Boundaries. I have copied below so you can see why I love this devotional book more than any other and have been using it since 1984.  It is always fresh and new because it has been a year since I read it last. Because it is deep spiritual truth, it takes years to fully understand the content.  Also, it is deep enough that it wakes me up as I read it while drinking my morning coffee.
There is a free app or you can go to utmost.org to read the devotional each day for free.
The reason I love the physical book is that I write significant life events that happen on that day and put the year beside it.  I have been using the same book since 1990 and would be distressed if something happened to it because my life is literally in it.
Praying you all have a blessed weekend full of healthy food; physical, mental, emotional & spiritual.
Carole Lewis 
From My Utmost For His Highest...
His Temptation and Ours
We do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. — Hebrews 4:15
Until we are born again, the only kind of temptation we understand is the kind mentioned in James 1:14, “Each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.” But through regeneration we are lifted into another realm where there are other temptations to face, namely, the kind of temptations our Lord faced. The temptations of Jesus had no appeal to us as unbelievers because they were not at home in our human nature. Our Lord’s temptations and ours are in different realms until we are born again and become His brothers. The temptations of Jesus are not those of a mere man, but the temptations of God as Man. Through regeneration, the Son of God is formed in us (see Galatians 4:19), and in our physical life He has the same setting that He had on earth. Satan does not tempt us just to make us do wrong things— he tempts us to make us lose what God has put into us through regeneration, namely, the possibility of being of value to God. He does not come to us on the premise of tempting us to sin, but on the premise of shifting our point of view, and only the Spirit of God can detect this as a temptation of the devil.
Temptation means a test of the possessions held within the inner, spiritual part of our being by a power outside us and foreign to us. This makes the temptation of our Lord explainable. After Jesus’ baptism, having accepted His mission of being the One “who takes away the sin of the world” (John 1:29) He “was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness” (Matthew 4:1) and into the testing devices of the devil. Yet He did not become weary or exhausted. He went through the temptation “without sin,” and He retained all the possessions of His spiritual nature completely intact.
Wisdom From Oswald Chambers

Crises reveal character. When we are put to the test the hidden resources of our character are revealed exactly.  Disciples Indeed, 393 R

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I just found info on First Place in a Beth Moore book titled Praying God's Word. Love your post on "My Utmost For His Highest". I received a copy in 1999, from my middle son's friend. Like you, my copy has numerous notes and comments. I 've had to tape it back together a few times. It is wonderful as you have said. Yes, deep spiritual truth...something eye opening every time I read it. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback!