Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Word to the Wise


Our world is filled with talking. Seldom is there a room where words are not being conveyed: radio, telephones, computers and even live chatter. But many words are not the same as communication. It is amazing how much information and misinformation is thrown at us and how much of it actually registers. Isn’t it interesting that in the Gospel of John, Jesus is called the Word. And when we talk about the Bible, we often use the title of “the Word of God.” Words are important and carry a great deal of weight, but their value is based on the authority of the one who speaks them.

I have heard it said that here in America everyone is entitled to an opinion. And most people would agree, but not all opinions have the same value. For example, if I were to tell you what was wrong with your car, you may want to get another opinion from someone who actually works on cars. If I tell you what is causing your stomach pains, you may want to actually talk to a doctor who has a medical practice, but what about the meaning of life and the life to come? All people have a right to an opinion, but are all opinions of equal value?

II Timothy 3:16-17 “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

TEACHING – need the basics of life? Read the Word of God. It is not a book just for information, but transformation.
Question: What lesson does God want to show me about how to do life?

REBUKING – need to correct some life habits? Read the Word of God. It will challenge sick thinking.
Question – What does God want me to do differently today?

CORRECTING – need to adjust a life course? Read the Word of God. It will be a light to your path.
Question – What adjustment to my daily schedule will get me closer to God’s goals for my life?

TRAINING – need discipline for a strong inner life? Read the Word of God. Where we are weak the Word of God will make us strong.
Question – What is keeping me from doing what I know I need to do?

I recently completed a Bible study course. At the end of the study one of the women relayed the following story:

She was getting her hair styled at the salon that she always uses. She was behind on her Bible reading for the course and had her materials with her – Bible, pens and workbook. However, on this appointment everything went wrong that could go wrong. She became increasingly irritated and her impatience was about to overflow! Then she looked in her lap. She was reminded that her attitude would reflect on the book she was studying and was reminded that if she was going to carry it in public she better demonstrate what it teaches as well.

That is what the Word does. It works from the inside out.

The daily discipline of Bible study in First Place does not burn calories or build bodily muscle – but it will help create the balanced life that a simple diet will never do.

Remember: God’s Word is Wisdom for those Wise enough to read it.

Dr. Bill Heston
bheston@fpchouston.org

Bill Heston works on the staff of First Presbyterian Church of Houston.  You can find more articles by Dr. Heston at www.firstplace4health.com under Resources in the Live It articles on emotions.

1 comment:


  1. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback!