Wednesday, February 5, 2014

My Word for the Year


I had known fellow author, Carole Lewis, for several years before I had the privilege of attending a First Place 4 Health “Wellness Week” in 2007. Carole had been so full of grace and understanding of someone like me -- who has struggled my whole life with keeping my body fit and healthy --  that I knew I could trust my desires and goals with the folks there. What a fabulous week we had focusing on balanced health in all areas of body, soul, mind and heart.  I came away wanting more and dreaming about further connections.

Out of that one week came my deep appreciation for the ministry of FP4H and my desire to live in a more balanced way by the guidelines and principles they taught. In the intervening seven years, I have come to enjoy the staff and board as dear friends and look forward to a new era with Vicki Heath at the helm.  I have written three FP4H Bible Studies, taught programs in my own church and beyond, and my annual ‘must-do-for-me’ treat is attending a FP4H “Wellness Week” at the beginning of each new year.

At our recent FP4H week, we all chose a word for the year and for 2014 mine is “new.” I am so very grateful that God’s mercies are new every morning. No matter how we have failed in the past to reach our balanced health goals, we can always, always begin anew. First Place 4 Health is that ‘safe place’ to return when we need not only grace, comfort and welcoming arms, but also a challenge and firm kick in the pants to get moving!

So this year I salute all the “new” that is happening at FP4H and also in my own life. Why don’t you also claim the promise God has for us in Isaiah 43.19: "For I am about to do something NEW. See, I have already begun!"

What is your word for 2014?  Reply below and share your word or share it on Facebook.  Let's keep the discussion going!

Lucinda Secrest McDowell, a graduate of Gordon-Conwell Seminary, is the author of 11 books including FP4H studies God’s Purpose for You, Better Together, and Fit and Healthy Summer. A conference speaker full of wit and wisdom, Cindy is finishing a new book this spring Live These Words – Responding to God, One Word at a Time. She also co-directs the “New England Christian Writers Retreat” and writes from “Sunnyside” Cottage in Connecticut. Visit her at www.EncouragingWords.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!